Sunday 8 October 2017

PINK. For it or Over it?


For the past week, i've been looking in depth into the colour Pink. This task was to help me understand and analyse a colour we may see every day in a more thought-provoking way. In this task, it also included creating two mood boards showing the Positive courageous uses of the colour, and the negative conformist use of it too. 

On Tuesday, we started to gather images together in our seminar groups just to see what kinds of things we could find out about our colour. This was useful, as I found myself stuck on simply looking at how pink is a colour that describes female gender. After this I then realised how lazy it was to use the colour pink in advertising to point towards the female target market. How obvious it is and personally I simply find it very old and uninspiring. This goes onto my first mood-board of the negative traits i think the colour pink has.

Negative Pink Mood-Board

I created a mood-board for negative traits of the colour pink. I wanted to look into different shades of pink and I feel like the 80's brought out the worst of the shades. These include the bright, bold acidic pinks which i feel are tacky and unforgiving. Although the 80's is known for its vibrance and colour, I don't feel it was timeless or a great step forward in time for fashion. The main negativity I found with this task was when I was looking at old time advertisement and that even today, the lazy pink is used to describe female gender. I feel brands such as Playboy and Barbie are negative impacts on this journey and brands today need to realise in the modern world, many women don't all like the colour pink. FACT! I found that Moschino's Spring 2015 collection was typical and shiftless. This felt tired and old to me as pink has been used in the same way for so many years to describe "femininity", however, does ladies fashion have to be feminine? Personally, I prefer when designers break boundaries and take risks. This to me shows innovation and creativity. 


 Positive Pink Mood-Board 
After looking into the negative impacts I feel pink has on fashion, I then looked into the positives. My original thoughts about the colour pink were mainly negative and based around sex and gender. However, looking deeper into it, I found that the colour pink can have a positive impact psychologically on a person

I created a pink positive mood-board looking at the good impacts pink can have I looked into the lighter tones which were worn mainly in the 90s. These light tones give off feelings of relaxation, calmness and tenderness. With this mind, I done some research about a prison in Switzerland which was painted pink to simply relax 



Pink Prison In Switzerland

aggressive inmates. After looking into the impact of the pink prison, I wanted to look further into at men wearing it in their day-to-day life. Are men still not brave enough? As a female, I don't see many men wearing pink on a regular day, so I looked into the positive impacts it can have by simply breaking a stereotype of masculinity. I then came across an amazing picture of Kurt Cobain wearing pink trousers. This made me realise he was a bold man with courage.

Although I wasn't over the moon about looking into the colour pink, I have found out many different things about it and has helped me realise for the future, how important colour is as a visual.




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Hannah West. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig