Thursday 30 November 2017

Why I hate Victoria's Secret

Two days ago in Shanghai, showcased the world famous Victoria's Secret fashion show. Victoria's Secret is a global lingerie brand that also sell sleepwear, sportswear and other goods.

Looking through my Instagram feed this week, all thats been coming up is uninspiring images and clips from this years show. The never changing image of Victoria's Secrets brand is getting increasingly recognised by millennials as a negative brand on fashion and they're understanding that the image of the VS "angel" is old fashioned and could be damaging on them and their peers.


Every year, I watch the Victoria's Secret fashion shows and I find it odd how identical they all seem, making me zone out every time I watch them. A waste of time. A waste of my own time that I have given up, to watch something that I basically watched last year. I think the only reason people still watch, is to see who's playing. Performers and Artists such as Harry Styles, Taylor Swift, The Weekend, Ariana Grande, Lady Gaga and Bruno Mars have all played at a Victoria's Secret show. The young, slightly innocent music makes absolutely no sense if they're trying to aim at young teenage girls as the models look like over-sexualised, over-powering predators, intimidating young teens in a lifestyle and what to look like. They even have a line called "Very Sexy". Whoever came up with the name of that line needs to be fired. Pronto. Completely taking away from the fact this is supposed to be about "fashion", I feel that the over powering live shows takes away from the lingerie and the art of design, and acts more of a huge fucking joke. Even though Victoria's Secrets brand message is about being "confident" and being "healthy", being an average size 12 does not make someone unhealthy or unconfident.

6 ft something, size 6 models walking down a catwalk with overbearingly tacky wings. I feel the lazy people behind the VS brand need a kick up the ass and get with the times. Although they remain one of the top leading lingerie brands, they are slowly decreasing in sales. I think the most successful companies take on change and see great benefits from it as times are changing. However, VS don't seem to see change as an option right now, even though people are loosing interest in them. Rebranding has been a huge thing for the last few years, such as Gucci going fur free and other designers using plus size models in their shows. Especially as a Lingerie brand, I feel body positive messages should be spread. Plus size model, Ashley Graham, is now one of the highest paid models and took aim at VS on Instagram by posting an image of herself with wings. Women come in all shapes and sizes, and for years now, designers and highstreet brands have honoured this and changed. However, Victoria's Secret still use the same ultra skinny, ultra sexy models. This to me shows they want people to look more at the kind of people that they want to wear their garments instead of the garments themselves.

I find myself using the words However quite a lot in this blog. The sense of strong disappointment and disapproval in a brand may seem quite sad, but HOWEVER, the words Victoria's secret gets under my skin because of how deeply uninspiring, behind in time and how unglamorous it is today.





SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Hannah West. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig