Friday 2 February 2018

Damn Good Advice (for people with talent)

This week I read Damn Good Advice (for people with talent) by George Lois. I had mixed feelings about this book and still don't quite know what to think of it. On first glance I instantly felt disconnected with the slightly arrogant bold cover of the book. This was clearly someone who had been working in communications for a long time and had a successful career of it. On second thought I realised this could give me some great tips on how to get some ideas as I genuinely find it quite difficult coming up with concepts for an idea.



The book went onto giving advice, and how to really let loose and be bold with ideas. Not to hold back, but not to go too far and be displeasing. George then spoke about examples of his advice and how he used it in real life to create his advertisements. I couldn't help but realise how uncritical he was on his work, which I found slightly arrogant. This put me off the person himself as I feel he made this book too personal and didn't give the most necessary points and sort-of waffled about how he was so great and amazing and changed brands. I found myself skimming through the parts I found less interesting and pointless to dig to the real advice which would actually come to use. '116. You're at your happiest when you're creating.' This was my eye-roll moment. Not quite advice George, more of a statement. In complete contrast, I love the work that George Lois created and think it really shows how amazing his thought process is, however, when you're writing a book about advice this becomes slightly unnecessary.

19. You can be Cautious or you can be Creative (but there's no such thing as a Cautious Creative).
A creative thinker must be fearless.

This was one of my favorite pieces of advice when reading this book as I often worry about my ideas. I ask myself 'is this good enough' or 'is this bold enough'. Instead I need to not hold back and really push whatever I can. He also advises to provoke and shock. This is really what gets someone noticed in a creative field as it will make us stand out and be remembered.

One story which really interested me was that George threatened to commit suicide just to get a client. This shows how far you can really push people to get what you want. This strong, bold attitude shows he is a fearless man who will not take no for an answer and will do whatever it takes to make business. I loved this as it was a direction order basically telling the reader (me in this case) to not take no for an answer. Work hard and if you know your idea is really great then sell it.

Overall, I had mixed feelings on this book as I found the advice was great and justified, however, some points were unnecessary and slightly dull to read.

Thanks for reading!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Hannah West. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig