Sunday 22 April 2018

Style Icon - Iris Apfel

Today, I watched a documentary on Netflix about style icon Iris Apfel. Continuing on from last week, i've carried on my research looking at people throughout history who have changed fashion. I didn't know much about Iris. I just knew the name from seeing her at fashion shows wearing the big round glasses that cover her petite face. I've always wondered what it is that she done, and now I know.

In this documentary Iris spoke a lot about pretty people and she almost used it as an insult. I feel in her time of young adult-hood being pretty would've got you places but as you get older it all goes. Iris tells us how having something more is the most important thing. To be interesting and to be yourself and follow whatever it would be you want to do, where it be travelling or creating a fashion collection. I found this important for her to say as I feel in her time it would've been extremely hard for a woman to become as successful as she did and to be as bold.
"I'm not pretty, and I'll never be pretty, but it doesn't matter. I have something much better. I have style." - Iris Apfel

Finding out more about Iris Apfel's professional career, other than having style, she also had great success in interior design. She got to travel all over the world to find fabrics in which she would find weavers to make exact copies to recreate a feeling and a place. When the camera wondered around her house, I could instantly see her styles are influenced from all over. However, complimenting each-other amazingly. It almost looks like a film set. 

I have grown to like Iris' work and all that she's done to inspire fashion by the way she dresses and still to her old age today of 96.



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Hannah West. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig