Monday 21 May 2018

Minimal VS Maximal

This week at uni, I've been looking at 8 different brands to decide which one I would like to take forward to create a brand story for, with fragrance in mind. One of the brands which has stood out to me is House of Hackney. Its maximal approach has made me question... whats happened to maximal design and bold materials? So in this blog i'm going talk about the opposite ends of the interior spectrum and how I feel about them.
In the past 3 or 4 years of my life, I have obsessed over interior and product design. I have seen so many different versions of minimal design which create calming clean looking environment where people can truly feel relaxed. I can really respect the effects and the inspiration behind it. However, I feel the age of beige really needs to make space for maximalism and with historically inspired design, prints and colour.

Last year I watched 'The Great Interior Design Challenge' on BBC and the famous designers Kelly Hoppen and Daniel Hopwood. Although they're both opposites in personal style, they are extremely talented in creating warm environments through texture and pattern. I am huge fans of both designers and love to see diversity in all aspects of design. The way different spaces make you feel is a strong power and I respect that whether minimal or maximal, its how it makes you feel which is the most important aspect.
Daniel Hopwood

Kelly Hoppen

Maximalism is quite an old fashion concept in interiors, and it can really bring character along with it. The past 10 years has been about how to make a space more minimal and clinical... sometimes rustic, but I feel maximalist design can feel un-chaotic when done right.

I've been looking into the brand House of Hackney and they're trying to create modern maximalism through their wallpapers, fabrics, furnishings and more. I was instantly captured by the same print through the different materials. However, keeping it simple using the same design throughout.

House of Hackney

House of Hackney

House of Hackney

Maximalism

Maximalism

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Hannah West. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig