Sunday 25 March 2018

Say Bye To Fur!


In the past year, high end fashion designers have stopped their ongoing use of animal fur. As a great lover of animals, I couldn't be more happy as I feel the culture of wearing fur is starting to become more frowned upon in contrast to being a statement. With the most recent designers such as DKNY, Versace, Michael Kors and Gucci going fur free, I feel like this is a great direction for both big brands and small to be influenced by this positive movement. However, this could mean that independant brands see this as a gap in the market and something to invest in. I feel the big brands who stop doing it could mean wealthy people stop seeing fur as a statement rather than a dead animal.
When looking on instagram, there is a big demand for pelted fur jackets both faux and real. Last winter I saw many young girls in these sorts of jackets and I even bought one myself as I loved the style. Although mine was faux, I saw many fur. With high demand, people can see opportunity to make these garments. I saw some faux jackets that looked almost realistic but I know if people have the money to pay for a real one or one that almost looks real, they would most probably go for the genuine fur. One of the independant brands who i found on instagram are called Sable In Action, who glamorise the wearing of fur as a wealth statement.

The culture of wearing fur started as symbol of social status and wealth and I feel today this is still the main characterisation of the use of it. This culture needs to shift as it is becoming unacceptable and wrong to think killing an animal to wear its skin is okay.



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Hannah West. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig