Sunday 25 March 2018

Fashion Brands And Disabilities

Mama Cax - Model
Today, I read an article on Glamour.com about how fashion brands should cater more to people with disabilities. As a person who can be quite ignorant about the world going on around me, I didn't quite realise how much of a problem buying or even putting clothes on can be for some people. I read three short experiences that disabled people had to go through, two of them included having to alter the clothes they buy, making them easier to put on and accessible and I read one of the woman who has dwarfism often gets told to look in the kids section. This completely shocked me. Obnoxious and ridiculous, why would adult want to shop in the kids section for themselves.
In the report, It said that 1 in 5 Americans have a disability, but as I live in England I thought I would see how many disabled people live here. I found out that it is also around 1 in 5 in the UK. For a time where brands are thinking more on race, religion and size, why aren't they also thinking of the 1 in 5 disabled people who may have struggles. The people who need help the most aren't even getting it which I think is a huge shame.

Fashion is slowly becoming more inclusive. An example of this is that Tommy Hilfiger launched 'Tommy Adaptive' which are clothes for both children and adults. Although this is a great step, Disabled people are having to pay out for expensive clothing both custom and already made clothing from places such as Etsy where you'd have to wait weeks to get what you ordered.

Tommy Adaptive
http://www.openstylelab.com/ is a brand which have partnered with Parson's school of art and design in NYC and have a donation programme on this website to help fund them. This shows things are slowly moving forward in technology and trying to help people who find it harder to get dressed in the mornings. Open style lab work with clients to help give them the custom garments they need to make things simpler for them. Although I understand some disabled people really do need custom garments to help get them through, some individuals may need something just as simple as a velcro down top or bottoms. I feel bigger highstreet brands such as H&M could really make simple garments which make a difference to peoples lives.

In todays world, every person should be included and not find it difficult to buy something which can simply help them in everyday life, therefore I feel in the next few years, brands really need to step up there game and include EVERYONE.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Hannah West. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig