Tuesday 22 May 2018

Music Maverick - Björk

Björk 
Watching Jools Holland today, I came across Björk. I had never heard or seen her before, however, her performance captured my attention based on how unique it was. I've never seen anything like it. It was like a mixture of performance art and music. I found out that she 'is an Icelandic singer-songwriter and founding member of the band the Sugarcubes. She went on to a strong solo career with songs like "I've Seen It All" and "Human Behaviour," as well as acting success.' (https://www.biography.com/people/bj%C3%B6rk-9542528)



Watching Björk, I couldn't help but to realise how she was clearly trying to communicate something through her performance and music. My Mum described her as "weird", I understood why, but clearly her uniqueness made her stand out.

Here is Björks performance from Jools Holland:


As you can probably tell... her unique style of both singing and performance is what makes her so successful today. Her new album 'Utopia' has an almost natural feel to it with birds singing, flutes and harps. The foliage around her in the performance just backs this up completely. Other than her conceptual music and art, in The Guardian, she says that ‘People miss the jokes. A lot of it is me taking the piss out of myself’. I found this quite humorous as the way she sings sounds so meaningful and serious, however this juxtaposition just defines Björg as an artist. 






SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Hannah West. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig