Friday 4 May 2018

Muslim Fashion - The $254 Billion Market

This week, I have been reading BOF and fastcompany.com  for some updates in whats been going on in fashion lately. I came across an interesting article about how Muslim fashion has such a huge market for modest clothing yet not many designers really cater to that. I found it quite baffling that some of the big spenders and elitists from Dubai who are majority Muslim people, have no designers to really turn to, to find fashion that suits them. Especially Muslim women.

When I kept reading about how luxury brands are still trying to get into this market, Dolce & Gabbana, DKNY, Burberry and Mango have all brought out modest lines. Brands will often come out with lines in time for Ramadan. Apparently the target consumers for these clothes were not impressed with what these brands had to offer with majorly similar looking clothes but in dull, life draining colours.

After I read all of this, I wanted to have a look for myself what these luxury brands had to offer the Muslim community.


Burberry

Dolce & Gabbana

Dolce & Gabbana

Mango

Tommy Hilfiger

Vogue

Looking at different brands I can see a lot of the clothing that the high end brands offer to Muslim women is beautiful modest garments however there is a strong lack of colour and excitement. Looking around at different modest garments and brands which supply this, I found a website which offers modest clothing for modern Muslim women. https://modestboutique.co.uk/ I thought this was great as it supplies luxury products and I feel really understands modern fashion but in a modest yet traditional way.

https://modestboutique.co.uk/


After looking into all this, I realised what about mass market? I don't think I have ever walked into a shop and realised that theres a line for modesty. If the Muslim fashion market is worth $254 Billion, why isn't everyone joining in. Therefore, I done slightly more research about modest fashion and I realised this is actually becoming a newly popular thing, with H&M bringing out their first modest collection this year. I think things are looking up for this community and I hope that merging fashions and traditions in western stores can create something new and exciting for the future.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Hannah West. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig